Sunday, December 07, 2008

Census Trouble?

Is Anyone Else Worried about the 2010 Census?

The New York Times had an editorial this weekend about the problems with the 2010 Census. I have been thinking about this for the last few months. What is happening with the next Census? The New York Times seems to say that there is some conspiracy here. I have no idea, but I do know that in 1998 we were meeting with the Census staff every month. We already had a detailed plan for counting homeless people by April 1998. The City was hosting meetings with all the social service providers in the City at that time. They were trying to build confidence, and map a strategy for counting everyone in shelter. It is almost the end of 2008, and we have not had one meeting yet with the Census. I know that they have hired some staff, but I have seen no plans yet. I am worried. This could be very bad for Cleveland. If we do not count all the poor people in Cleveland, we could face a 300,000 person city or a 150,000 drop in the population.

Brian
Posts by Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless staff and Board.

No comments: